Monday, March 24, 2008

Musical Mondays: Easter

Well, the song I wanted to use for this Easter edition of Musical Mondays was "The Cross" by Kevin Max (with help from his DC Talk pals), but that's out because I can't even find the lyrics online, much less the song itself. At any rate, if you get a chance to hear that song, give it a listen. It's quite good.

So, second place it is. This one is no less powerful, in fact possibly more so due to it's having been around for a few generations. It's "The Old Rugged Cross," a hymn that I grew up singing in church on Sundays. I couldn't really find a video that captured it quite as I remember it growing up, but this one's fun. As a bonus, it also includes "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross"



Here's the lyrics:
1. On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
the emblem of suffering and shame;
and I love that old cross where the dearest and best
for a world of lost sinners was slain.
Refrain:
So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
and exchange it some day for a crown.

2. O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
has a wondrous attraction for me;
for the dear Lamb of God left his glory above
to bear it to dark Calvary.
(Refrain)

3. In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
a wondrous beauty I see,
for 'twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
to pardon and sanctify me.
(Refrain)

4. To that old rugged cross I will ever be true,
its shame and reproach gladly bear;
then he'll call me some day to my home far away,
where his glory forever I'll share.
(Refrain)

Really, that's what Easter is all about, isn't it?

So what does Pandora have to add? Here you go:
  1. Who Is Like The Lord by Marantha
  2. Escape by The Turning
  3. Because He Lives by Kristen Chenoweth (Hey look -- another Easter tune!)
  4. In Your Presence, O God by Travis Cottrell
  5. Love Without End by RainSong


1 comment:

The Moose said...

I got mine up. I started to play this on the cd this year yesterday morning.

Verse of the Day