Thursday, March 08, 2007

Proverbs 2:6

"For Jehovah giveth wisdom; Out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding:"

There are many things in this world that I don't understand. There are aspects of God that baffle me, even as I grow in my walk with Him. I still don't have a complete understanding of why bad things happen to good people. I don't know why some babies are born with horrible diseases or disfigurations while others are remarkably perfect. Many times I have prayed about these things and I still don't know the answer.

I don't believe that God's promise to grant us wisdom works that way. I believe that there are many things that cannot be known by us here on earth. "For now we see in a mirror, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know fully even as also I was fully known." (1 Corinthians 13:12 ASV) What then is this wisdom that comes from God while we are here on earth?

The book of Proverbs deals extensively with the concept of wisdom. Much of it was written or collected by Solomon, who was said to have been the wisest man (other than Christ himself) to have lived. Solomon knew the value of God's wisdom and treasured it highly.

The Proverbs say that wise men are good advisors (10:21), disciplined (12:1), thoughtful and cautious (14:15), ever seeking knowledge (15:14), responsive to rebukes (17:10), and self-controlled (29:11). Proverbs 3 describes the benefits of wisdom. It prolongs life (3:2), grants favor (3:4), nourishes (3:8), grants safety (3:23), and overcomes fear (3:24). This is the type of wisdom God grants to those who seek it out.

Wisdom should be a constant pursuit, something that we chase after all the days of our lives. "How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! Yea, to get understanding is rather to be chosen than silver." (Proverbs 16:16 ASV)

Still, just having wisdom is not enough. It's only the first step toward living the life that God desires for His children. Wisdom without application is useless. It's like trying to pound a nail with your fist while a hammer lies unused at your feet. "The legs of the lame hang loose: So is a parable in the mouth of fools." (Proverbs 26:7 ASV)

True wisdom is a way of living. It isn't just storing up knowledge and learning facts. It's an outlook on the world and an attitude of humility and discernment. It is both a means and an end. We should always be seeking God's wisdom in our lives.

No comments:

Verse of the Day