Tuesday, March 20, 2007

James 1:17

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom can be no variation, neither shadow that is cast by turning." (ASV)

It's amazing to me how often I forget to thank God for the good things in my life. I'm always right there, letting Him know about it when things go badly for me, but when everything is going well He hears from me quite a bit less. Foolish, I know, but I really think that part of this is human nature.

James 1:17 reminds us that everything that is good is from God. When the supreme Creator of the universe chooses to bestow gifts upon us, isn't it only fitting that we should praise and thank Him for it? Of course, I thank Him for the big things. When something I have been praying over is resolved, I thank God. When something really uniquely amazing comes my way, I thank God. But what about the little things?

I forget to thank Him for each day I am given. "This is the day which Jehovah hath made; We will rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:24) We should be thankful for every day, not just the bright sunshiny ones or the ones when we have time to relax and enjoy life. We should be thankful for the stormy days, the icy cold ones and the scorchingly hot and humid ones. We should thank God for the days when we have jury duty or have to deal with something unpleasant at work or school. EVERY day is His creation, after all.

I'm pretty good about remembering to be thankful for meals, unless there's too much distraction or I'm so hungry I forget. In 1 Timothy 4:3, Paul, speaking about false doctrines, writes "forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by them that believe and know the truth." If God wants us to receive meats with thanksgiving, I don't see why He wouldn't expect the same whether we're eating vegetables, fruits or grains. I need to be more consistent about thanking Him for every meal.

All in all, I need to think about the little things that happen throughout my day. The song of the bird perched on my windowsill is a blessing from God. The beauty of the sunset, the sweet-smelling breeze, a call from a friend, the ability to go out to dinner with my husband. There are so many things I forget to be thankful for. What about you? What are some of the things God has given you for which you should thank Him?

No comments:

Verse of the Day