Monday, August 30, 2004

How I started my day

Click the title link if you aren't as creeped out by creepy-crawlies as I am. Let me start by saying I am definately bug-o-phobic. So I walkedut my front door this morning and was greeted by the largest bug I have ever encountered. I think it was a tree roach (according to other people who are more knowledgeable about such things) but I didn't ask it. It was about 4-5 inches long (which translated in my brain to be 8-10 inches) and didn't do the normal buggy trick of scurrying away as soon as it spotted me. Instead it stood its ground and menacingly waved its antennae at me. ICK!!! I seriously contemplated not messing with locking the front door and just doing the "Run away! Run away!" thing, but I somehow overcame the fear, locked the door (without taking my eyes off the darn thing -- as if I could transfix it to its spot by staring it down) and managed not to even scream. Then, I got to work and told my story, thinking it was obviously the largest bug in the vicinity (Dallas area for those who haven't figured that out), and was told that these things are common, and can grow to be about a foot long and some of them FLY!!!!! I'm sorry, it was icky enough when it was just a creepy crawlie. Now it's a creepy crawlie that may or may not fly, and probably has bigger, badder friends lurking nearby! I grew up in Pennsylvania. The bugs up there don't get this big. The ones I dealt with most were ants. Not the painful, stinging fire ants that are all over here in Texas, but the tiny little black ones that are really not much more than an annoyance. I don't like 'em, but I can deal with them. Tree roaches are another matter entirely. I wonder if my Mom's couch is available until winter...?

No comments:

Verse of the Day