Monday, August 18, 2008

Andy's Goin to Kazzyland!

A good friend of ours is about to launch his international missions ministry, and he could use your help! Andy is going to Kazakhstan, with the backing of East-West Ministries to begin a Celebrate Recovery ministry there. Celebrate Recovery is basically a broader, Christ-centered version of AA, dealing with a wide range of addictions and habits. Right now there isn't a program over there to help folks deal with and move past addictions, so this is a much needed concept. Andy has been working with AA for years here in the Dallas area, and about three years ago decided it was time he took his show on the road. Following is a letter he sent out to friends, family and prayer partners as he prepares to embark on his journey.

Well, 3 years have passed since we came back from Kazakhstan and I announced, “I am supposed to live there!” Everyone said, “Yeah sure”, but here I go!! My Launch Date is set for September 15th, 2008. A lot has changed since I first envisioned moving to and living in a foreign country.

I quit my job of 12 years! Then, I went to language school in South Carolina. Now I am back, getting all geared up to go. MY plan was to live in “Ust”, a city of 300,000 and work with the Rodnik church and its’ 5 daughter churches. Due to governmental constraints and new laws being passed, this will not be. I will NOT be living in “Ust”, at least for the first year. I will be living in “Almaty”, the former capitol and current business center for the entire country! In Ust there are only 2 or 3 full-time American missionaries left; in Almaty there many more!! For me that means more support, accountability and Americans to show me the ropes! The city has 1.2 million people, and a LOT more alcoholics who need to know how to have a relationship with Christ!

Also, East-West will also help me to go to MANY cities across the entire country, including “Ust”, throughout the year! This will help me, as I will be more of a consultant and I will be training people in how to lead this ministry themselves rather than trying to depend on me. This is VERY important, as if I am ever the “leader” of any ministry, if I leave, the ministry usually dies. I am not going to be a hero, just a helper. Again, I will go to MANY cities, not just one!!!!!! If you ever want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans!!

I need your help. I love and appreciate all who are already “in the game”!! I would not have gotten this far without you. Many have sent care packages, to include “sugar covered Gummi Worms”! That’s a new one on me! (YES I ate them!!) Now I have more “needs” (that doesn’t sound right!). I am going to go over some of them now.

I need e-mails and soon will have Skype! I need some folks to e-mail or call me and ask how I am doing. When I say “I’m fine”, ask again!! Ask me about the cultural differences and how I’m doing with them. Ask how I am doing with temptation. Ask how long it has been since I sent out a “Hello” to everyone, etc. You get the drift.

I need more folks praying! You must be doing this now, for I have come this far. Keep going! Now I need prayer for the Visa to get approved, more financial support, and for my trip to California August 12th-16th for the Celebrate Recovery “Summit”. Northwest Bible Church has paid for almost everything! I am going to get more training before leaving, and meet folks who can help me along the way. (p.s. I just got back, it was GREAT!)

Financial support. I need $4300 per month, and I am now receiving $2200 per month. East-West has created a website just for giving to me; eastwest.org/wickerdonate will go right to my page. Many would rather give straight to me, okey-dokey!! I need the new updated Rosetta Stone $550, a new computer for traveling (small and lightweight while still Windows XP friendly for Kazzylands network) $1500, airfare $2500, deposits for apartment (for Americans that may mean 1 year upfront!!) $2000, Brenthaven padded computer backpack $200 (gonna live out of it), international power converter $30, CVS stockpile of over-the counter meds $200?, cash donations, dinner invites, hugs, monthly donations – THERE IS NO WRONG WAY TO GIVE!!

Again, I covet your prayers, and I will have an address after I leave and you will know it. Also, if you have no cashola, I still need you on my team!! This is the big push, and again, thank you for your help thus far.

Thy will be done.

3Jn 1:14 But I trust I shall shortly see thee, and we shall speak face to face. Peace be to thee.

Andy Wicker

East-West Ministries
If you can help in any way, I know it would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Verse of the Day